Thursday, January 2, 2014

Getting my dog to Spain!!!

So, it's all but official!! Chandler (my puppy-- well, he's 2, so maybe he's a dog... but he'll always be my baby) is going to Spain!!  I almost brought him with me last year, and decided last minute not to.  But, being that I plan on living in Spain for 3-4 more years, I know I wouldn't survive without him!  Even though my parents have been wonderful to him, and he loves living with them, it's time I take back the responsibility.  And I'm SO excited about it!

I say "all but" official, because I won't feel relieved until we walk through the door to my apartment.  I'm so nervous about the long trip (consisting of 2 flights and a 2.5 hour train ride...)!!  Thankfully he's small enough to be a "carry on" and I don't have to put him under the plane.  He's also small enough to ride with me on the train, so I won't be taking my eyes off him!!

The process of getting him approved to move to Spain wasn't too bad... a little pricey... but what isn't these days?!

1.  He had to have an internationally recognized microchip (which he already did)
2.  He had to have an up-to-date rabies shot (That must be administered more than 21 days before the flight).
3.  He needed a health certificate from the vet (This had to be done 10 days OR LESS before the flight)
4.  And then, I had to fill out a bilingual form that I got on the USDA website, and his vet had to sign.

Once I got all of that together, I had to take it to the USDA office, and they approved it all, and put a pretty stamp on it, which they charged me $38 for!

Either way, it seems that everything is in order, and in a few short days, Chandler and I will be embarking on the biggest journey of his little life!  Wish us luck!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to miss him sooooo much,! I will also miss you! ��

    ReplyDelete