Thursday, November 15, 2012

Culture Shock!

So, lots has been going on here in Spain the last few days.  I'm going to post about the Huelga General that happened yesterday soon, I just want to do a little more research about it first.

For now, I just wanted to share something that happened today that literally shook me.

I was sitting in my Siglo de Oro (Golden Age) class, waiting for it to start, and all of the sudden, someone busts into the room and starts yelling.  I turn to see what's going on, and there's a student-aged guy standing in the doorway waving a TOY gun.  Of course, I didn't know if it was fake or not at first, and literally felt my heart start pounding out of my chest.  The boy proceeds to stand on the table-type desks that we have and starting walking down the middle of the class on top of the tables, yelling in Spanish.  He is followed by a group of about 12 other students, all half-drunk I'm assuming, yelling and chanting.  Once I realized it was just a toy gun, I felt a lot better.

What was happening was, these students were from the Science department at the University.  Well, here, each department has it's own "fiesta"meaning weekend off, in which the students dress up, go out, and do what college kids do.  These students were just having fun, although extremely rude and inappropriate.

Needless to say, this was a CRAZY experience for me.  1st of all, having a "gun" anywhere near a college campus is NOT something we joke about, even a fake gun would be cause for alarm.  However, here, the boy was waving it around, completely like it was nothing.  Talk about culture shock!! I wasn't sure how to respond or what to even think!! Not to mention the running up and down desks, yelling, and complete craziness that they brought with them.

By far my biggest culture shock so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment