Friday, November 2, 2012

So...

Alright, I've told this story to lots of people already, and it happened when I first got to Spain, but I decided to write it down here, so I can look back at it in the future and laugh.
So, one of our first days here in Salamanca, my parents and I are sitting at a restaurant, having lunch.  At the table next to us, there are 3 people, a boy from Holland, a boy from Germany, and a girl from Columbia.  We couldn't help but overhear this conversation, happening in English.

Boy from Germany- Ya, the US has really bad health care.
Girl- Oh, really?
Boy from Holland-  Ya, did you know that if you're hit by a car, and you don't have insurance, they'll just leave you in the street?
Girl- Wow, I didn't know that.
Boy from Germany-  Ya, I read that somewhere.

At this point, my parents can't help but interrupt.
My mom- I'm sorry.  I just wanted to let you know that that's not true.
Boy from Holland-  Oh really?
My dad- Ya, we're from the US, and that would never happen.

My parents and the boys continue their conversation for awhile.
Me-  Ya, sorry.  We couldn't help but overhear.  I mean, you're talking in English, so we got excited.
Boy from Holland (turning to the girl)- Pues, debemos hablar en EspaƱol.  (Well, we should speak in Spanish)
Me-  Ya, I speak Spanish as well.
Boy from Holland-  Oh.

REALLY?!  We just leave you there?! I couldn't stop laughing.  What happens then?  Someone gets hit by a car, the ambulance and everyone shows up, but then they check for an insurance card and say, "oh, wait.  No insurance, pack it up!"

Then of course the poor boy had to stick his foot in his mouth a 2nd time with the whole, we should speak in Spanish comment.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I know we have a lot of problems with our health care in the States, but we're not THAT bad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment